it goes way back
Pepperrell Cove’s maritime history dates back to the 1600s when cod fish filled the Atlantic and colonial empires were made. It is named for Sir William Pepperrell, a Kittery Point native who became a decorated soldier, merchant and landowner in the early 1700s. Sir William Pepperrell owned more than 130 ships that operated out of Pepperrell Cove. He was commander of the colonial forces that took Louisbourg, Ile Royale (Cape Breton Island) in 1745. He was known to be one of the wealthiest and most powerful men during the colonial era. Author Patricia Wall, who wrote "Lives of Consequence" about the "invisible" population of African Americans in Old Kittery, detailed that Sir Pepperrell was also a slave owner, including a woman named Molly Miles, who was born in 1719 and lived to be 107 years old. According to the Maine Historical Society, evidence reveals that Sir Pepperrell left four slaves to his wife in his will. Lady Pepperrell reportedly "liberated" her slaves around the time of the American Revolution. According to the publisher, "In Lives of Consequence, Patricia Wall has forever destroyed the old myth that there were 'just a few' persons of color living in colonial Maine. In the towns of old Kittery and Berwick alone, her in-depth study finds nearly 500 Black, Indian, and mixed race individuals--both enslaved and free--from 1645 to statehood in 1820. Despite many self-serving myths their lives were no less harsh and their neighbors no less racist than other parts of the country. This well researched book is a significant rewriting of local history and a major addition to the study of African and African-Americans in Maine. A much needed corrective to antiquarian histories of Maine towns that virtually ignored this population altogether, it could be a model for similar local studies all over New England."
Got a Pepperrell Cove photo or memory of your own to share?
In the early 1800s the Frisbee family made its mark on Pepperrell Cove, operating what came to be the longest family owned store in the country. In the market's early days, its location enabled boats carrying coal and grain to make deliveries almost directly to its door. In the early 1900s, a new store was built in front of the old one. The original building became Cap'n Simeon's Galley, a restaurant also owned by the Frisbees. Cap’n Simeon’s closed in 2010. One of the current owners of the complex, Henry Ares, got his
start in restaurant business at the popular Cap’n Simeon’s Galley and worked there for many years.
Love these photos? Check out our full size gallery!
The Frisbee family donated their waterfront pier to the town in 1955 and continued to run Frisbee’s Market until 2011. The current owners are local restaurateurs who live in the community and have tried to honor the Frisbee’s legacy while creating a new waterfront experience for visitors and locals. The third floor bar at Bistro 1828 is called the Ski Club – a reference to the Water Skiing Club at Pepperrell Cove that provided much entertainment during the mid 1900s. The Ski Club has some of Frank Frisbee’s water skiing relics from the days when the group of locals put on waterskiing shows around the Seacoast.
207-703-2028 ext. 3
Available for bookings
Email us with inquiries
207-703-2028 ext. 1
Serving lunch & dinner
Fri-Sun until 9p
Brunch 10-2pm Sundays
207-703-2028 ext. 4
Groceries, Coffee Shop and Ice Cream
Closed for the season
207-703-2028 ext. 2
Closed for the season